For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, August 26, 2011

Osteoporosis Update

I finally rescheduled my mammogram and bone density test that I had to cancel on July 5. The mammogram results were normal.  My bone density actually improved in my hips (YAY!), but is worse in my lower spine (DARN)!  I had stopped taking calcium supplements for awhile because it was making my stomach feel yucky, but I started taking them a few weeks ago.  I also need to get serious about exercise.  I bought a groupon for a one-month membership to the Rex Wellness Center and I have a coupon for a free week at Curves. I will try them both, and then decide whether to join one of them or try some other gyms. There are peer-reviewed studies showing that acupuncture works to improve osteoporosis, and my oldest sister does that in addition to walking almost daily.  My sister's insurance company covers acupuncture, so I was hopeful that it would be covered under my policy, but it is not.  I hope it's not cost prohibitive, because I want to do acupuncture rather than medication.  The latest research on osteo meds show that bone density increases, but there is not a correlating decrease in breaks. Even worse, one of the side effects of long term use is deterioration of the jaw bone. So even if my endocrinologist tells me it's time to start meds, I disagree. I am going to try to improve my numbers with exercise and acupuncture first.  There is an integrative medical facility down the street from my office in Raleigh, so I couldn't ask for a more convenient location for acupuncture.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth...just for your info...the Rex Wellness Center is much more than a gym...we've had memberships just at gyms...Rex is a wellness center, and can provide help and support for a variety of things. The pool/wet area is the best I've seen, and kept very clean. There are various classes offered that are fun and convenient. Hope you find it pleasant. Glad you are well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nina. I am looking forward to checking it out.

    ReplyDelete